The first electric bulb was used in the Holy Mosque in Madina in 1326H (1908 AD), more than 100 years ago.
According to the information inscripted on the bulb, the date of its installation was the same date when electricity was first introduced in the Arabian Peninsula, about 112 years ago.
According to the Madina Municipality website, the mosque’s construction and its expansion during the era of Ottoman ruler Sultan Abdul Majid Khan took place between 1265 and 1277H (1849-1860 AD). At that time oil lamps were used to illuminate the Masjid. Electricity was introduced by Sultan Abdul Majid Khan and the electric bulb was lit inside the Holy Mosque of Madina for the first time on Shaban 25, 1326H (1908 AD). The first chandeliers and generators were sent by the Nizam of Hyderabad, British India.
Back in those days the present day Saudi Arabia had not existed and Madina was part of Hejaz, which was part of the Ottoman Empire.
Another expansion work took place during King Abdul Aziz’s time between 1370H and 1375H (1951-55 AD). During this period, a special power station was established for lighting the Holy Mosque of Madina as the number of bulbs or lamps had reached 2,427.
Mohammad Al-Sayyid Al-Wakeel wrote in his book, “The Holy Mosque of Madina,” that the mosque was originally lit by palm fronds. When Tameem Al-Dari came from Palestine in 9H (630 AD), he changed to oil lamps, as was narrated by Abu Nuaim referring to Abu Hurairah who said that the one who first lit a lamp in the mosque was Tameem Al-Dari.
Some historians say that the one who first lit lamps in the mosque was Caliph Omar bin Al-Khattab when people gathered there for Taraweeh prayers. The lamps were lit with oil.
Source : arabnews.com